Friday, June 16, 2006

Sneakers!

Ok, I'll admit it. I'm cheap.

I don't like to spend much money on sneakers. In fact, $29.95 is about as high as I am comfortable with.

Way back when, in the dark days of yore, when I was in college, I decided to splurge and spend about $80 on a pair of sneakers. I figured that they were "one of the best brands" and at that price, they would last a while.

At that time I was very physically fit. I worked out with weights at least 7 times a week, I took aerobics in the evening, and I was on the JV cheerleading squad, so I was pretty rough on shoes. My normal "cheap" $19.95 shoes would last me about 2 months.

The new shoes? Three months.

Since then, I've never bothered with the expensive name brands. I could buy cheap sneakers 4 or 6 times a year and still outlast 2 pairs of the expensive ones.

Today, I was trying to find what I call "hiking sneakers". Inexpensive, with some ankle support. 2 stores, and none of them had the right kinds in the size I wear. Who's responsible for that?

So, for my scouting trip this weekend, I'll be wearing my normal sneakers, with no ankle support.

Maybe I should find a good pair of shoes and then buy 5 or 6 sets of them and rotate them. Maybe they would last longer.

It'll definitely be cheaper.

No comments: