Friday, June 30, 2006

The world is a terrible place

It always has been, and always will be.

Things were different when I was younger.

It always has been, and always will be.

But, I think the alternative is worse :)

The country is changing. Things are different. Some things are better, some are worse.

But, we are civilized people, in most places around the world. We want the world to be better, and in many ways, it is.

We have our ideals - these lofty goals of how things should be. And we mostly work towards these goals.

The problem is that we don't always live up to our ideal. We don't always reach these lofty goals.

Scratch that. The problem isn't that we don't succeed, the problem is that too many people decide to either quit, which is bad enough, or they decide to lower the goals, which is far worse.

The world will be a much better place if we set high and lofty goals, make real attempts to reach them, and fail than if we set low goals and succeed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wise words.

Anonymous said...

pfffft... the world is a terrible place because too many people lack the capacity for reason. The west is what it is because we are reasonable people with a culture that is capable of saying 'maybe you're right'. The worst places in the world are full of those who *know* they're right. Could you imagine if Hitler had said 'Hmm..you're right, gassing these Jews might be a little harsh'? or Bin Laden had reasoned out that it might be okay for someone to be a Christian? When someone loses the capacity to reason, they are no better to have around than a rabid animal. If you have an argument, I'll consider it, within reason.

Anonymous said...

:)

Anonymous said...

I think the world is a horrible place, because our families and children are. Being tormented the publication of of muder for family member and children. The nations rumors of war bring it my father was in the Korea war came home, sick and died. I have never been so proud my life has been up down. But he made me strong. I will put my dentures on and go to war. I will fight to the end of times. I love my country.