Saturday, July 01, 2006

Calling to be saved

An old joke:

An old and pious woman is on her rooftop during a flood, waiting to be rescued. First, an old man in a canoe comes by and offers to help. She says, "No thank you. God will save me."
Later, a boat comes by and offers help. She says, "No thank you. God will save me."
Later still, a helicopter flies over and offers help. She says, "No thank you. God will save me."
Unfortunately, she dies shortly after that.
At the Pearly Gates she confronts St. Peter. "Why didn't God save me?" she asks.
"Well, according to my records, we sent a canoe, a boat and a helicopter."

People have called out to be saved for a long time. From oppression. From sickness. From Evil. From hunger. From many things that they perceive as wrongs.

Perhaps God has answered. Not in physically relieving suffering, though, but in letting us know how to be saved. Through the teachings of His Prophets and philosophers.

A quick search of my memory and the internet gives me a list: Moses, Mohammed, Jesus, Buddha, Confucius, Lao Tse, Zoroaster, and Mahaveera. They, and many others, have promoted ideas and ways for salvation, and there may be more than one, since we have so many to choose from.

I believe that God has already answered our prayers for salvation. We just need to heed the teachings and warnings.

Of course, living according to any of these teachings is difficult. No one said that salvation would be easy, and I expect that it is a difficult task.

But then again, aren't all worthwhile goals supposed to be difficult? We just need to work hard, move forward, and prove that we are willing to sacrifice for a greater goal.

No comments: