Friday, May 25, 2007

Talked my client out of hiring me

Yesterday, I finished a contract job. I spent a total of 11.5 hours working for them. The contracting agency gets a bit over half, but for a short job, that's fine.

I had the opportunity to have the contract extended - perhaps as long as a month, maybe even more. But, they asked for my "expert" opinion, and I told them: you can't do what you want to do the way you want to do it. Basically, because of some tools that they must use, they would have to take their current system (technology which I am very familiar with) and replace it with a new one based on another technology, which I am only slightly familiar with. I told them that although I could help with the new system, their money was better spent on other consultants who knew more.

That's the way it should work, isn't it?

No comments: